5 basics to create a great pitch for your startup
A pitch deck is a presentation that entrepreneurs use to communicate the value and potential of their business to promising investors. It is essentially a sales pitch in slide form, and it is a crucial tool for any entrepreneur seeking funding.
At Decelera, we’ve heard many of them, each one special in their own way, yet all striving towards a common goal of helping individuals in connecting with their ideas and showing what their startups are capable of.
So, what makes the perfect pitch deck? Here are a few key elements that investors want to see:
- A clear and concise overview of your business: This should include a brief summary of your company, your product or service, and your target market. In this section you need to explain your “Why”, “How” and “What” a very easy way for people to understand your business.
- A compelling value proposition: This is a statement that explains why your business is uniquely positioned to solve a problem or meet a need in the market. It should be clear and concise, and it should differentiate you from your competitors.
- A solid financial plan: Investors want to see that you have a clear understanding of your financials and that you have a realistic plan for how you will use their investment to grow your business. This should include a detailed breakdown of your revenue and expenses, as well as any projected financial metrics.
- A strong team: Investors want to see that you have a diverse and skilled team in place that is capable of executing your business plan. Everyone speaks about having a skilled team that is capable of executing your business plan. But it is also important to highlight the human side of those people, why them and not others, in the end, investors what to trust the people behind the business and not only their professional capabilities.
- A clear path to growth: Investors want to see that you have a solid plan for scaling your business and reaching profitability. This should include a breakdown of your go-to-market strategy and any milestones you have achieved or plan to achieve in the near future.
During our last program, our Alumni had the possibility to work on the improvement of their pitch by the hand of Alex Barrera, one of our concurrent Experience Makers. He works with each startup individually from the first day in order to help our startups reach the highest quality pitch.
In addition to these core elements, it is also important to have a visually appealing and well-organized pitch deck that is easy to follow. Use strong, compelling visuals to illustrate your points and keep your deck to a reasonable length (generally no more than 20 slides).
All in all, the perfect pitch deck is one that clearly communicates the value and potential of your business, and demonstrates to investors through storytelling that you have the skills, experience, and vision to succeed. With these key elements in place, you will be well on your way to securing the funding you need to bring your business to the next level.